I am a professional drummer formally signed to Island Records as a permanent founding member of C/O/R/D, who are now renamed 'Tin Man'. I have worked with some of the countries most prestigious producers whilst recording our debut album and spent the majority of 2006 touring & promoting it. Including live performances on Radio 2, XFM & various music festivals.
As well as private tuition I teach at a number of schools in and around the Norwich area.
I’ve been drumming for 17 years, it is my passion and pretty much my life. My inspiration was my uncle Jonny Marter, a brilliant drummer who’s CV includes the likes of Marillion, Fish, Brian May & the SAS Band. As soon as I played his kit as a kid, the seed was sown, I would also be a drummer by hook or by crook.
Before owning a drum kit I was playing in our school band, practising lunchtimes or anytime I could on the school drum kit. I did my first pub gig aged 14 with a makeshift band. Since then I have played non-stop in various Function, Covers, Silver & Original Bands. I am not precious about music and appreciate all the experiences I’ve had and the privilege of playing with some awesome muso’s, such as Ron Sayer (guitar) and Emma Hall (vox).
However, without doubt my life’s biggest achievement to date is getting a major recording contract with UniversalIsland Records in 2004 (after four years hard work) with C/O/R/D my most beloved band. We have had a total roller coaster of a time. I’ve listed some of the highlights of our career below.
* Getting bombarded with phone calls from everyone in the music industry and being offered a recording contract (it was an amazing experience).
* Recording in some of the most prestigious recording studios in Britain including Rockfield, Olympic (this plays rocks), Townhouse, Sarm-West & Realworld (Paradise on Earth).
* Working with Youth (urban Hymns) & Danton Supple (X&Y), two awesome producers who were a real inspiration to us. Listening to the strings being recorded on our tracks by the London Session Orchestra. Being told by Danton the drumming tracks he recorded on our album were as good as any he’d done before.
* Achieving a top 40 hit (#34) with our track Winter & releasing our debut album ‘Other Peoples Lives’ which we’re all extremely proud of.
* Supporting some amazing bands like Angels & Airwaves, The Feeling, Orson & The Open, & playing some historic venues such as Brixton Academy & Glasgow Barrowlands.
……meeting the likes of Juliette Lewis, Tom DeLonge and Chris Martin has been Alright too.
We are currently writing and rehearsing for our second album and in the meantime I’m playing with various bands….because basically I can’t stop playing.
I have always been into great driving passionate drummers that have helped to forge the sound of classic bands. I’ve always wanted to be at the driving seat of a big Rock Band and to make the whole sound better than the sum of its parts, that’s what makes me tick. I’ll list just a few of my favourite players that have achieved this:
John Bonham Led Zeppelin
Jeff Pocaro TotoSteely Dan
Richie Hayward Little Feat
Roger Taylor Queen
Domonic Howard Muse
Matt Cameron Soundgarden
Aaron Comess Spin Doctors
Alex Van Halen Van Halen
Need a Drummer?
If you need a drummer to dep, do a couple of shows or do some recording get in touch.
Bands I have played with (worth noting that is)
Beat Connection www.beatconnection.co.uk/
Tin Man www.myspace.com/thetinman
The Elevators http://www.the-elevators.com/
Platinum Gold www.myspace.com/platinumbands2
The Emma Hall Band www.myspace.com/theemmahallband
The Ron Sayer Band www.sayermusic.co.uk
Cawston Silver Band